Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Paper Blogs in 2nd Grade

Last week, I had the great pleasure to observe Carol McLaughlin teach one lesson in a series of lessons on how to blog.  She has her students create blogs on Kidblog each year.  Before she puts her second graders on the actual blog she teaches them about digital safety and also how to write a good blog post.

The students started off by writing about something in their life they know a lot about and then other students commented on the paper blogs with sticky notes.  Carol emphasized that it's important as an author to always go back and answer questions or to respond to the blog.  The kids did a great job!  There were a few blogs where the trail of sticky notes with questions and comments trailed off the desk!  In the past I have seen my fourth graders struggle with understanding how to comment on a blog effectively.  I think this would be a great way to demonstrate!  Way to go, Ms. McLaughlin's class!
What I love about blogging is having a platform for the students to publish their writing to a real audience.  I believe this gives the students a real purpose and passion for writing.  

Does your class blog or Tweet?  Email me the address or handle and I would love to have a running list of links and feeds on this page.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for coming to visit our classroom and for participating in our paper blogging activity! My class blog is up and running now and my kids love it! :)

    ReplyDelete